Biggest problems in Island Defense (With suggestions)

Moderators: Remixer, IAmDragon

What are the biggest problems for Island Defense at the moment?

Game is not noob friendly
23%
Unbalanced builders/titans
8%
Staller titans
11%
Builders who leave when they are about to feed or give a minion
9%
Builders who AFK into the observer slot preventing full house games
5%
Builders have nothing to do if they die and just AFK/QUIT
11%
Broken ELO system
9%
Everyone wants to play builder instead of titan
21%
Other
3%

Total votes: 75

Burn
Protector of Nature

Biggest problems in Island Defense (With suggestions)

Postby Burn » Fri May 01, 2015 5:32 pm

I wanted a separate topic and a poll for this to note of its importance. This is not meant to hate on the map, merely providing constructive criticism for the map

My top three problems with Island Defense:

1) Stalling titans
2) Game is not noob friendly
3) Builders have nothing to do if they die and get punished

The poll allows 3 choices. If you wish, you can post a reply to this topic that will suggest another choice.

Poll options and why it's a big problem, and my suggestions to fix this problem:

1) Game is not noob friendly
Reason: New players have no idea what they're doing, who end up feeding or becoming a minion, get ridiculed, and never coming back.

Code: Select all

Fix: -teech/-teach command. Provides a cinematic tutorial for noobs and a link to a video guide to Island Defense. (One and only one is [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0esPil8DzM]this one[/url], but I mgiht make another one in the distant future)

2) Unbalanced builders/titans
Reason: Makes competitive gaming impossible without player rules, not really that big of a problem in public games.

General fix for builders: Make all super tower DPS the same but with different abilities to provide variety. (Doesn't apply to troll/goblin/faerie/Ogre)
General fix for Titans: Make all nukes instant cast, same mana cost,  Have unique scouts/WW/

3) Staller titans
Reason: Makes builder games exceptionally boring, and makes climbing ELO tedious.

Implement -boot system: Basically an in-game votekick which needs a % of alive builders to do that is not restricted by time limit or multiple kicks going at the same time like !votekick is. It also ignores either the titan's or builder's vote depending on the reason for -booting. Titan will be forced to leave after 5 minutes of using the -boot titan command. If a builder dies within the 5 minutes, then the -boot titan is cancelled and they must re-vote.

Noob fix: Give -surrender command to both builders/titans (basically just makes the titan leave, allowing someone else to -titan, a fancier way of alt+ Q_Qing - Many people who don't know about the command will type it thinking it ends the game)

Stalling titan fix: -boot titan after 40/50/60 mins (votekick% builders go down each GP) in-game, or after the titan has not gotten a minion after 10 minutes of game-play time.

AFK fix: -boot titan if titan is AFK for 3mins. (starts at 80%, then lowers by 10% each minute)
Refusal to play fix: -boot titan if titan is not getting any experience or gold for 3mins (starts at 100%, then lowers by 10% each minute)

TK fix: If you TK any building that costs more than 300 wood OR any building worth ANY gold, then you can be -booted by 100% of alive builders vote. Players that give shared controls to the team killer or if titan has attacked the building or unit makes the team killer exempt from the -boot.

4) Builders who leave when they are about to feed or give a minion
Unfair to titan that there is a 15 second full deny feature in the game while other builders get to decide whether to suicide or deny the rest of the feed.

Fix: Non-builder units remain for 5 minutes after builder leaves. Builder remains for 3 minutes after builder leaves. Time limit is indefinite for inhouses. There'd just be a mode like -arih to signify that it is the inhouse version of the mode.

5) Builders who AFK into the observer slot preventing full house games
Hard to win as titan without full house

FIX: The player's builder still spawns, but control is granted to everyone until the player comes back and takes it away.

6) Builders have nothing to do if they die and just AFK/QUIT
Makes dead inhouse players AFK, preventing further inhouses. Makes decent builders play minions and ruin stacked public games.

FIX: When builders die, and become -obs, they are granted control over players that type the -AFK command. Observers can also play blackjack.

7) Broken ELO system
Players with ELO quit because ELO was beyond hope. Without a good ELO system, it is impossible to gauge skill.

8) Everyone wants to play builder instead of titan

FIX: Make titan more fun to play -
Give a lvl 3 minion after 10 minutes if titan does not kill a builder.
Give a lvl 4 minion after 20 minutes if titan does not kill two builders.
Titan does not get any minions if he lets a minion die.

9) Other (Post an option to suggest for the poll with your suggestion)

If you are willing to constructively criticise someone's suggestion, please post a suggestion of your own or a modified version.

@uakf.b Hi, is it possible to allow me to use more than one spoiler tag in a post? It would make my post a lot less cluttered.

-Burn
Last edited by Burn on Tue May 05, 2015 1:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

Sat
Donor: Beyond Reproach

Re: Biggest problems in Island Defense (With suggestions)

Postby Sat » Fri May 01, 2015 5:39 pm

I think the biggest of these problems stem from the elo system, so that's what I voted for

It causes a lot of bs in general, don't need it

Dr_CoolHaus
Aura Tree

Postby Dr_CoolHaus » Fri May 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Only 3 choices? All of those are valid issues.
But agreed, those are some good ideas for solutions.

Also... ELO stronk

Haunt
Oversight Staff

Postby Haunt » Fri May 01, 2015 6:45 pm

Yeah, remove ELO.

Less drama.

Mealywings
Armored Tree

Postby Mealywings » Sat May 02, 2015 5:01 am

I didn't get to vote on everything :'(

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sat May 02, 2015 9:44 am

I'm not actually surprised that from the poll everyone's main issue seems to be other players....

narbtit
Forest Walker

Postby narbtit » Sat May 02, 2015 2:48 pm

I hope you enjoy your conclusive results.

TooNoobForU
Treant Protector

Postby TooNoobForU » Sat May 02, 2015 7:43 pm

i put in other because i like titan more then builder

Humik
Aura Tree

Postby Humik » Sat May 02, 2015 10:31 pm

I think biggest problem is, that the game is not noobfriendly, when noobs join game and comunicate, ppl dont want to help him, id comunity is full of dicks in general, i've seen many games where noob was comunicating, but noone helped him, they rather tried to kick, or were mean on him..
I am not sure how to fix this problem, but i hope you'll find something.
Healing rain is a real touch from God. It could be physical healing or emotional or whatever.

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Sat May 02, 2015 10:34 pm

So the problem again is the community.....

Easy fix.... Make more rules to prevent more assholes. Hense why banning builders for intentionally leaving to prevent minions and going observer should be banned. If we ban them then they will stop doing it. One step closer to a better community.....

Sat
Donor: Beyond Reproach

Postby Sat » Sun May 03, 2015 1:25 am

ShadowZz wrote: going observer should be banned.

By this do you mean failing to pick or going -obs? I don't understand why that should be banned either way.

Burn
Protector of Nature

Postby Burn » Sun May 03, 2015 11:41 am

Banning players for trivial reasons do not equate to a better community.

-Burn

narbtit
Forest Walker

Postby narbtit » Mon May 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Humik wrote:I think biggest problem is, that the game is not noobfriendly, when noobs join game and comunicate, ppl dont want to help him, id comunity is full of dicks in general, i've seen many games where noob was comunicating, but noone helped him, they rather tried to kick, or were mean on him..
I am not sure how to fix this problem, but i hope you'll find something.

Yes exactly humik. Tbh I more troll titans but shadowZZZzz told me to stop. I don't start vks on noobs, but I have voted yes, just as everyone else does. I don't see it happen too much though, I'd say maybe 50% of time it happens other half titan gets feed.

ShadowZz
Poison Treant

Postby ShadowZz » Mon May 04, 2015 4:33 pm

The problem with Island Defense for new players is it is not like Warcraft 3. As much as people may say it is, it isn't. It's hard to grasp and learn at first and people who are trying to learn have no guidance except other players which spend there time raging and vote kicking them. If anything implementing tips would be a good idea. Like having a drop down box when you are titan that shows recommended items and how to make them. Can easily be closed to not take up room or left open as guidance. Likewise a small drop down box on screen for builders with a command to remove it. Were all used to typing things like "-cam 150 scroll lock" why not just add a "-rt" Remove Tips. Helpful solution with little effort....

Haunt
Oversight Staff

Postby Haunt » Mon May 04, 2015 4:51 pm

ShadowZz wrote: If anything implementing tips would be a good idea. Like having a drop down box when you are titan that shows recommended items and how to make them. Can easily be closed to not take up room or left open as guidance. Likewise a small drop down box on screen for builders with a command to remove it.

This.

Return to “Island Defense”